How to Add Free SSL with Let’s Encrypt in WordPress?
- Last Updated: Sep 15th, 2018
- Posted by: Editor
- Category: WordPress Knowledge
Most of the users asking how to add free SSL with let’s encrypt in WordPress after add SSL in WordPress article. Unfortunately, at that time nothing has existed. but at this time we have option to discuss this topic.
In this post, we will explain to you how to add free SSL with let’s encrypt in WordPress.
What is SSL and Let’s Encrypt?
Each day, every internet user shares personal information like when we shopping online, creating accounts etc. Since your information can be viewed or stolen, if this has not encrypted properly.
Here, the SSL comes to secure your information. SSL provides the encryption technology to protect the connection between a user’s browser and the web browser.
For identification purpose, every website is issued a unique SSL certificate. If a server is pretending that it is on the HTTPS, and it’s certificate does not match also then many browsers will caution the user from connecting to the website.
Previously, there is only one way to protect websites with SSL was by using a paid SSL certificate. Let’s Encrypt is a free open certificate. It provides SSL certificate for the general public.
It is a project of Internet Research Group, a public service corporation and sponsored by many companies like Google, Facebook, Sucuri, etc.
Easy Way – Using a Host That Offers Built-in Free SSL
Since Let’s Encrypt is becoming popular and few WordPress hosting companies have started offering built-in easy SSL setup.
By signing in with a hosting company which provides a built-in integration, you can add Let’s Encrypt free SSL. it is the easiest way to add the SSL.
Setting up Free SSL with Let’s Encrypt on SiteGround
SiteGround is most trusted and a famous hosting company. It offers built-in integration of free SSL.
Here are some steps tonhow to enable Let’s Encrypt free SSL in SiteGround.
- Login to the cPanel dashboard and go to the security section. Here, you have to click on the Let’s Encrypt icon.
- Now, you will go to the Let’s Encrypt install page. You have to select the domain name where you want to use the free SSL and also you have to provide an email address.
- Click on the Install button.
- Now, let’s Encrypt issue a unique SSL certificate for your site. When it is finished then you will see a successful message.
- Thus, you have successfully integrated Let’s Encrypt free SSL to your website.
- Since your website still is not ready to use it.
- So, first, you have to update your WordPress URLs and then resolve the unsafe content issue.
Setting up Free SSL with Let’s Encrypt on DreamHost
- DreamHost is another famous WordPress service provider. It offers built-in integration to set up free SSL on any domains hosted by them.
- First, you have to log in your DreamHost dashboard then you have to click on the Secure Hosting under the Domains section.
- On the Secure Hosting page, you have to click on the Add Secure Hosting button.
- Now, DreamHost will ask you to choose your domain and below it will give an option to add free SSL certificate from Let’s Encrypt.
- Make sure that this checkbox option is checked.
- You can select to add a unique IP to your domain name.
- Since it is not required, but it will improve compatibility with old version of Internet Explorer on Windows XP.
- Now, click on the Add Now button to finish the setup. DreamHost will start setting up free SSL certificate with Let’s Encrypt and you will see a successful message.
- Thus, you have added a free SSL certificate with Let’s Encrypt to the website on DreamHost successfully.
- You have to update WordPress URLs and also fix the insecure content issue.
- Go to Updating WordPress URLs section after setting up SSL.
Installing Let’s Encrypt Free SSL on Other Web Hosts
It is a domain-based certificate that means if you have a domain name, you can add it on any other web host.
If your web host does not provide an easy integration such as SiteGround or DreamHost then you have to go through the lengthy procedure.
However, this procedure is different from one web host to another web host. Many host companies have a support document to explain how to do that. Also, you can contact their support staff for instructions.
Since BlueHost is one of the WordPress hosting providers that permit you to add third-party SSL to a domain hosted by them.
Updating WordPress URLs After Setting up SSL
After setting up the free SSL certificate with Let’s Encrypt, you have to switch your WordPress URL from HTTP to HTTPS.
A normal site uses HTTP protocol without SSL certificate. Usually, it is highlighted with the HTTP prefix in the web address. Such as:
And, secure websites use HTTPS protocol with SSL certificate. Their web address looks like:
You will not be using SSL and your website will not be safe for collecting sensitive data, without changing the URLs in your WordPress website.
So, here, we will explain how to move WordPress URLs from HTTP to HTTPS.
For new WordPress website
If you have a new WordPress website then you have to go to your WordPress admin area and click on the settings.
You have to update WordPress URL and site URL by using https.
At last, save your changes.
For the existing WordPress websites
If your website has been live for some time then there are some chances that it is indexed by search engine. Any other people may have linked to by using https in the URL.
You have to make sure that all traffic is redirected to the https URL. First, you have to install and activate the Really Simple SSL plugin. Read more about how to install a plugin.
It finds out your SSL certificate and set up your site to use it. As with most cases, you will not have to do more changes. Also, it will fix the unsafe content issue.
Update Google Analytics Settings
IfGoogle Analytics is installed on your website then you have to update its settings and add a new URL with HTTPS.
Simply, login to your Google Analytics dashboard and click on the Admin at the top menu. Click on the Property Settings in your website.
You will see the default URL option. Just click on the HTTP and then choose https.
At last, click on the save changes.
So, with the help of this post, you can add free SSL with Let’s Encrypt in WordPress.
Here, in this post, we have discussed how to add free SSL with Let’s Encrypt in WordPress. We hope this article will help you to add.
If you have any issue related to this post, please tell us in the comment section below. We are happy to help you.
If you liked this post, please share it.
You can Dial +1 888 614 0555 (Toll-Free) for any problem related to WordPress. Our WordPress Customer Support Service always ready to help you.