Your WordPress.com blog comes with a free address, like example.wordpress.com. You can get rid of the wordpress.com part and use a custom domain name instead, like example.com. Adding a domain is a paid upgrade:
- Adding a domain name to your site (either registering a new domain or transferring or mapping the one which you already own) requires a WordPress.com plan.
- Each plan comes with a free domain name credit for one year’s registration or one domain transfer. Though, you can set up additional domains on the same site as add-on upgrades.
- You are required to give your contact information while registering for a domain name. The Private registration upgrade protects your identity and hides your contact information.
- You can also connect numerous domains that you already own elsewhere via the domain mapping upgrade at no additional cost.
- For all the .fr domains and .ca domains registered by individuals. The Private Registration feature has been enabled by default with no additional fee.
- For .uk domains, address privacy is included for private, non-trading individuals.
Adding a custom domain to your blog
There are 4 ways to add a custom domain to any blog –
- Registering a new domain through WordPress.com and have it get connected, if you want a custom domain as quickly and easily as possible.
- Transferring an existing domain to WordPress.com, in case you already have a domain but want to manage it and your site in one place.
- Mapping an existing domain to your WordPress.com blog, if you have a domain that you have registered and purchased elsewhere, but you want to keep managing it via your current provider.
- Mapping a subdomain to your WordPress.com blog, if you already have a website that you don’t want to get affected, and you want to add a blog to it under a subdomain.
Domain registrars, those companies that sell and administer domain names are certified and approved by the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN). Although hundreds of domain registrar exist, the ones in the given following list. They all are popular because of its longevity in the industry, competitive pricing, and variety of services. They offer in addition to domain name registration (such as web hosting and website traffic builders):
- GoDaddy.com: http://GoDaddy.com
- Register.com: http://register.com
- Network Solutions: http://networksolutions.com
- NamesDirect.com: http://namesdirect.com