WordPress plugins are apps which allows you to add new features and functionality to your WordPress website. Likewise as apps do for your smartphone.There are more than 48,000 free plugins available right now on the WordPress.org plugin directory. Thousands more are available from third-party websites like Github.
There are also thousands of premium WordPress plugins which is sold by individuals developers and companies.WordPress plugins are written in the PHP programming language.
A plugin is a piece of software which contains a group of functions that can be added to a WordPress website. They can increase the functionality or add new features to your WordPress websites.
What Can WordPress Plugins Do?
WordPress plugins are little software applications that keeps running on top of the WordPress software. It normally enables you to create any kind of website with WordPress.
For example you can:
- Using the WooCommerce plugin Start an online store with WordPress
- Create a job board with WordPress By using the Job Manager plugin
- Create a business directory with the best directory plugins for WordPress
- Create a Wiki website By using the Knowledge base plugin
- Start your own podcast website using WordPress and many more.