Easy Way to Add a Favicon in WordPress : Complete Guide
- Last Updated: May 10th, 2018
- Posted by: Editor
- Category: WordPress Knowledge
Do you want to add a favicon in WordPress? Favicon or Site Icon is the small image which you can see next to the website title in the browser. It helps users to identify your website. Many frequent visitors to your website will establish an instant recognition for that small image. It increments brand recognition and also helps you to build trust among audiences.
In this article, we will explain to you how to add a favicon to in WordPress.
Why should you Add a Favicon to your WordPress Site?
Favicon improves website’s usability and user experience and also build an identity of the website. Usually, most users open many tabs in their browser. So, it helps users to identify the website and they quickly switch the tab which they want.
Also, your users can add your website to the home screen on their devices.
How to Create a Favicon?
Since you can use your brand logo as favicon. But the recommended size for the favicon is at list 512×512 px. You have to know that the favicon should be a square and you can use the large rectangular image, WordPress will permit you to crop your image when you add.
Add a Favicon in WordPress
- In WordPress 4.3, you can add a favicon from the WordPress admin area. You have to go to Appearance >> Customize and click on the Site Identity tab.
- The Site Identity section in customizer permits you to modify the title of the website, description, and control whether you want to show them in the header.
- It permits you to upload your favicon or site icon. Click on the Select File button and upload the image.
- If your uploading image is large from the recommended size then WordPress will permit you to crop the image.
- When your crop image matches the recommended image size then save your changes.
- Now, you can see the favicon in the action on your website.
- Also, you can go to your website on a mobile device and then from the browser menu choose Add to home screen.
- Now, your site icon will appear on your device home screen.
Adding a Favicon in WordPress older version(4.2 or below)
- If you want to add a favicon or site icon in the WordPress older version(4.2 or below). Then you can upload your favicon to site’s root directory by using FTP.
- After that, you have to paste the given below code into your theme’s header.php file.
|<link rel=”icon” href=”http://www.wpglobalsupport.com/favicon.png” type=”image/x-icon” />
<link rel=”shortcut icon” href=”http://www.wpglobalsupport.com/favicon.png” type=”image/x-icon” />
- You can replace the wpglobalsupport.com form your site’s URL.
- If your theme does not have a header.php file or you can not find that then you can use the Insert Headers and Footers plugin.
- After activation of plugin, you have to go to the Settings >> Insert Headers and Footers and paste the above code into the header section and save your settings.
Here, in this post, we have discussed how to add a favicon in WordPress. We hope this post will help you to add a favicon in WordPress.
If you have any problem related to this post, please tell us in the comment section below. We are happy to help you.
If you like the post, please share it with your peers.
Read More Blogs: